Friday, March 20, 2009

Thing 43. Online TV and Video

I guess being able to watch shows whenever I want to is probably the best thing with full episodes. I can't afford cable (and would only really want to see a half dozen networks anyway, not over 200), so I just have the standard stations you can get over the air. Now with DTV, it is even worse, not better. I don't get ABC or CBS, but do get FOX, PBS, and NBC. ABC and CBS claim they will be back on in June sometime, I will have to wait and see. So having the networks broadcast episodes of shows is actually very nice of them. I think they had to do it tho, lots of episodes were being shown on YouTube and the like, so the networks probably figured that it would be better if the viewer was to watch them on their own sites, that way the network could show advertising at the same time. Not sure what the impact will be on cable tv companies, I suppose they will have to raise their rates, but they had better be careful with that during this rough economy, otherwise they will lose people and they may never get them back.

I think I like Hulu the most, every thing there seems very well organized. This is a funny clip from the tv show The Office. Michael Scott sets up a role playing session between Dwight Schrute and Jim Halpert to help them with their customer service skills. Take a look.

3 comments:

momlasley said...

Great clip by the way! I agree that online is a great, practical way to go. My daughter in college watches everything on Hulu. Am also enjoying working my way through your blog - lots of good info. You are farther along than me, so it helps!

Cheryl said...

I also like Hulu the best and have watched several episodes while at lunch at work!

Dave Carlson said...

Thing 43 I can skip ahead to do. Already I've broken the systematic sequential approach to More Things.

I discovered Hulu when I saw it on a Super Bowl commercial. ABC.go.com has its own episodes ready to go as soon as they've aired. A little tedious to get specific viewers (ex., Adobe Flashplayer) for each network. I have relatively high speed Internet, but not high enough for HD TV offerings. Learning to be patient and let the buffer load is helpful; it's like using DVR to time delay your viewing.