Monday, March 16, 2009

Thing 34. Is this Our Competition? Online Answer Sites

I think the appeal is that you can get an informal answer to an informal question.  If Im looking to find out who one the World Series in 1994 (this is a trick question btw), I would just google it, and find out who it was right away, rather than trying to go to a library to find out.  Its just a quick reference to a quick question.  The answer is of course, nobody, because they had a lock out that year.  But, lets say I wanted to write a paper about that lockout and about the MLBPA salaries that year, then I would try and find some books, or even articles about it at the library.  So I guess the appeal of these sites is that they are informal, quick, and you don't have to jump thru hoops to find the answer.  I have seen questions about how to change spark plug wires, questions about Windows XP/Vista, questions about Barack Obama.  Just about anything you can think of will probably show up on these sites.  Yes, these questions should be directed towards a library if the person asking the question wants a solid, concrete, 100% correct answer.  Remember that Wikipedia is editable by ANYONE and EVERYONE who wants to do so.  There are many wrong answers on Wikipedia, but there are those who try and police the site and make sure that the references provided are accurate, but this task is probably like trying to find a needled in a haystack the size of Minnesota.  I think sometimes they probably do use these sites because they don't know what the library has to offer.  On the other hand if you have a question about how to beat a video game at 2 am in the morning, are you going to wait until the library opens up the next morning at 10 am to try and look at a tips and tricks book, or are you going to try and find the answer online at a video game cheat site?  To me thats a no brainer.  I did not answer any of the questions, but I have for other ones, like for the question I posed about about the 1994 MLB season.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I think you're absolutely right..and besides, I think you'd be upset if I called you at 2AM with a video game question. We could test out that theory if you like...LOL. I think there's room for both those sites and libraries. We serve different functions.