Friday, March 14, 2008

Thing 15. Online Games and Libraries

I tried out puzzle pirates, since I had heard of Second Life before, I wanted to try out this new game.

It sure takes a long time to load, about 5 - 10 minutes, and I was using high speed Internet!

As for the game itself it was okay, definitely for kids. But it seemed like a safe environment for them to play in, and learn puzzle solving skills. It also involves chatting with other players, and this helps kids with their conversation skills as well. It was hard to get used to playing at first, but I asked a few questions, and the other players helped me. The kids playing generally like it when you ask them questions, it makes them feel part of something, and it makes them happy to help you.

Some other good games in this MMORPG genre include Diablo (classic, but still great), RuneScape (if you work in a library I'm sure you have seen/heard the kids playing it), and World of Warcraft (probably the most popular game in the world right now, it is good, but they charge you to play it, so...).

No comments: