Friday, April 17, 2009

Thing 45. Cloud Computing

The WebOS tools sound interesting, it would be nice to have access to a virtual ghost of your computer wherever there is Internet access. One drawback would obviously be that your files and information could be accessed by someone else if they wanted to hack into the hosts file system, but that is true of any file uploading/sharing service. So it is not unique to this WebOS as a whole anyway. I like to carry around a USB drive whenever I know I will need to have one to back up files Im working on. This is really handy when you are in school, I usually do a lot of homework on my breaks at work, so I save my work to USB drives and put it back on my computer when I get home.

I use GoogleDocs all the time with school, it is especially helpful when your professor wants you to work in a group in order to write a paper, or do some other work. All of my school is done online so it is impossible for all of us in the group to meet in person. We use GoogleDocs, go into the chat area for our class, and start to work on the paper or project. It is updated in real time, so you can see other people working on the paper, and see what changes they are making.

Other apps that I use include Paypal and my schools file sharing system. Paypal is great if you buy and sell stuff online, but beware they do charge fees, and if you give them your checking account number they will have it FOREVER, they will not get rid of that information even if you close your account. That is my Paypal rant, do with it what you will. As far as the file sharing system I use with my school, I like to put information on that when I forget my USB drive, and I can just get to it again whenever I want to as long as there is an Internet connection. They also let you store up to 250 MB of data, which is a lot really, when you consider that most of the things I do involve Word documents, that are only usually 100 K at the most.

3 comments:

Linda said...

You're obviously web savvy and able to see how useful cloud computing is, as well as the drawbacks. I didn't really pay attention to the Paypal terms when I signed up, so your rant informed me, but it's years too late for that. I suppose one could always close the account and open a new one, and not use Paypal; but it's so handy, especially when dealing with currency exchanges.

Chris said...

yes, if I ever stop using paypal I will close my checking account as well as my paypal account just to be safe.

Dave Carlson said...

I registered on G.ho.st Virtual Computer today. I was lookig for a quick alternative to FTP to transfer a large pdf file for my wife's business. Her client found an easier "cloud" on his own companies website before I could figure out file uploads.

Very easy to install and set up the desktop, but a lot to learn all the tools. Email was very easy to set up POP feeds from three accounts I use.

I jumped ahead here for a need. G.ho.st was one of the choices to explore.